Have you ever thought about undergoing cosmetic dentistry services, but you hesitated to commit because you weren’t convinced that you would love the results? Many people feel the same way. To help you and others like you, an innovator in the dental field, Dr. Christian Coachman, created the Digital Smile Design (DSD) system. Let’s talk more about what DSD is and how it can benefit you.
What Is Digital Smile Design?
DSD uses advanced imaging software to give you a preview of the results of a cosmetic or restorative dental treatment. Basically, your dental team just takes some pictures of your teeth and your face, which are then uploaded into the software. From there, they can manipulate the images to show you what you would look like after the completion of a certain treatment, such as veneers or tooth replacement.
The man behind DSD, Dr. Coachman, is a sixth-generation dentist who also has an advanced degree that qualifies him as a dental laboratory technician. He understands both the creative and scientific sides of dentistry. He created DSD to help dentists effectively share their visions for their patients’ smiles and help patients commit to their treatments with confidence.
Benefits of Digital Smile Design
Some of the most outstanding benefits of Digital Smile Design include:
- It empowers patients. If something in your DSD mockup doesn’t fit your preferences, let your dentist know, and they can adjust the design. For example, they can alter the color, size, or shape of your veneers.
- It is realistic. In some cases, circumstances make it difficult or impossible for a dentist to give a patient exactly what they want for their smile. With DSD, you can gain a realistic understanding of what is possible.
- It improves case acceptance. By giving patients confidence in their treatments’ outcomes, dentists are more likely to be given the green light to move ahead with the procedures that their patients need to look and feel their best.
- It’s fast and noninvasive. The DSD process is quick. As a patient, all you have to do is let your dental team take some photographs and wait while they use the software to design your new look.
- It enhances communication between doctors. For complex cases, more than one dentist or specialist may be involved. DSD facilitates easy communication between the parties who will be working on your smile.
Get Started with Digital Smile Design
DSD isn’t available at all dental offices, so if you want this remarkable technology to be a part of your treatment journey, find a practice that offers it. Once you do that, schedule a consultation to learn more about DSD and get started on designing your future smile. Hopefully, you will love what you discover and eagerly move forward on your way to your ideal look.
Meet the Dentist
Dr. James R. Nelson of Nelson Dental Care is a Louisiana native who has been serving patients since 2013. He regularly uses Digital Smile Design and other advanced technologies to make the patient experience as efficient and comfortable as possible. To learn more about Dr. Nelson and how he may be able to serve you, contact our practice at 504-887-3311.